OverviewLegend of Zelda, the visible map area does not follow Link around pixel-for-pixel. Instead, it only scrolls when he starts to walk out of view. Consequently, since Zelda Classic uses a similar game engine as the original Legend of Zelda, every map is divided into screens. Each individual screen is largely independent from other screens, and has a number of properties that can be set, which are specific to that screen.
Composition and Measurement
A screen is composed of 11 rows of 16 columns of Combos, which define the game area that Link, enemies and items interact with. Although, as in The Legend of Zelda, half of the bottom row is obscured from view to accommodate the Passive Subscreen and is only visible when the screen scrolls vertically.
In ZQuest each Combo in the screen has an address, which is just a unique number. You use these addresses in scripts to modify combo properties such as walkability (that is, the script must indicate which combo on the screen is to be modified). The Combo at the top left corner of the screen has an address of 0. The Combo to the right has an address of 1, and so on until the end of the row is reached. Addressing then resumes at the left-most Combo in the next row. See the figure below (elipses "..." indicate that some rows and columns are skipped).
Distance MeasurementSubscreen is not included in the coordinate system. As an example, top-left corner of the cave in the opening screen of The Legend of Zelda is at the position (64, 16).
- Main article: Screen Data
- Main article: Under Combos
- Main article: Secret Combos
- Main article: Freeform Combos
Door Combo Sets
- Main article: Door Combo Sets
- Main article: Maze Path
- Main article: Enemies
Each and every screen in the quest has a collection of internal flags which determine if Link has completed certain tasks in the screen. These flags are retained in save files and can be accessed from ZScript as "Screen->State".
- Whether or not the screen's secrets have been made permanent. If this is set, then the Screen Secrets process is run once whenever Link re-enters the screen.
- Whether or not the screen's Item has been removed.
- Special Item
- Whether or not the screen's Special Item has been removed.
- Lock Block
- Whether or not the screen's Lock Block combos have been unlocked.
- Boss Lock Block
- Whether or not the screen's Boss Lock Block combos have been unlocked.
- Whether or not the screen's "Treasure Chest" combos have been opened.
- Locked Chest
- Whether or not the screen's "Treasure Chest (Locked)" combos have been opened.
- Boss Locked Chest
- Whether or not the screen's "Treasure Chest (Boss)" combos have been opened.
- Door Up
- Whether the north door has been unlocked or bombed open.
- Door Down
- Whether the south door has been unlocked or bombed open.
- Door Left
- Whether the west door has been unlocked or bombed open.
- Door Right
- Whether the east door has been unlocked or bombed open.