When Screen Secrets are triggered by one means or another, Zelda Classic sweeps through all of the screen's combos (and, importantly, all of the screen's layers) only once, and replaces certain flagged combos with a specific Secret Combo from the same layer. For information on precisely which Secret Combo is assigned to which flag, see Combo Flags.
- 1. All combos flagged with Trigger Combo Flags are replaced with their matching Secret Combos...
- ...unless Screen Secrets were triggered by a combo flagged with both a Trigger Combo Flag and the "Singular" or "Singular(+16-31)" flag.
- 2. All combos flagged with "Secret Tile" flags are replaced with their matching Secret Combos...
- 3. Furthermore, the screen's "Secrets" State is set, unless certain conditions are met (see below).
"Secrets" Screen State
The "Secrets" Screen State signifies that the changes made by Screen Secrets should be permanent - they should be applied whenever the screen is loaded from now on. (Note, however, that Tiered Secrets will not be made permanent - only one iteration of the Screen Secrets process will be run when the screen loads.)
It will always be set whenever Screen Secrets are triggered, unless:
- The "All Triggers->Perm Scrt" Screen Flag is set, and there are still some Trigger Combo Flags left on the screen, or
- The DMap type is "NES Dungeon", or
- The Screen Secrets were triggered by Link stepping on a "Trigger (Temporary)" or "Trigger (Sens. Temp)" Combo Type.
List of Events that Trigger Screen Secrets
- A Trigger Combo Flag being activated.
- Link stepping onto a "Trigger" Combo Type.
- Automatic whenever the "Enemies->Secret" Screen Flag is set, and there are no enemies in the screen.
- Automatic whenever the screen's "Secrets" screen state has been set. (Note: this doesn't stack with Enemies->Secret).
Other Forms of Screen Secrets
The "Armos(->Secret)" Flag
When this flag is triggered, the flagged combo (and only that combo) is replaced with that layer's "Stair" Secret Combo, but other Screen Secrets are not triggered.