When Screen Secrets are triggered by one means or another, Zelda Classic sweeps through all of the screen's combos (and, importantly, all of the screen's layers) only once, and replaces certain flagged combos with a specific Secret Combo from the same layer. For information on precisely which Secret Combo is assigned to which flag, see Combo Flags.
- 1. If Screen Secrets were triggered by a Trigger Combo Flag, then the combo on which that flag was placed (henceforth, the "Triggering Combo") is replaced with its matching Secret Combo.
- 2. All other combos flagged with Trigger Combo Flags are replaced with their matching Secret Combos...
- ...unless the Triggering Combo (if any) was flagged with both a Trigger Combo Flag and the "Singular" or "Singular(+16-31)" flag.
- 3. All other combos flagged with "Secret Tile" flags are replaced with their matching Secret Combos...
- 4. Furthermore, the screen's "Secrets" State is set, unless certain conditions are met (see below).
"Secrets" Screen State
The "Secrets" Screen State signifies that the changes made by Screen Secrets should be permanent - they should be applied whenever the screen is loaded from now on. (Note, however, that Tiered Secrets will not be made permanent - only one iteration of the Screen Secrets process will be run when the screen loads.)
It will always be set whenever Screen Secrets are triggered, unless:
- The "All Triggers->Perm Scrt" Screen Flag is set, and there are still some Trigger Combo Flags left on the screen, or
- The "Secrets Are Temporary" Screen Flag is set, or
- The DMap type is "NES Dungeon", or
- The Screen Secrets were triggered by Link stepping on a "Trigger (Temporary)" or "Trigger (Sens. Temp)" Combo Type, or
- The Screen Secrets were triggered by Link pushing a Trigger Push Block whose combo type was not "Push (Heavy)" or "Push (Heavy, Wait)" or "Push (Very Heavy)" or "Push (Very Heavy, Wait)", or
- The Screen Secrets were triggered by the "Enemies->Secret" Screen Flag, and the "Permanent Enemies->Secret" Screen Flag is not set.
List of Events that Trigger Screen Secrets
- A Trigger Combo Flag being activated.
- Link stepping onto a "Trigger" Combo Type.
- A Push Block being pushed that has not been flagged with a "Silent" Push Combo Flag. (Note: not always - see below).
- A "Block Trigger" Combo Flag being covered by a Push Block, when there are no more "Block Trigger" flags on the screen. (Note: not always - see below).
- Automatic whenever the "Enemies->Secret" Screen Flag is set, and there are no enemies in the screen.
- Automatic when the screen is loaded, whenever the screen's "Secrets" screen state has been set. (Note: this doesn't stack with Enemies->Secret).
Other Forms of Screen Secrets
The "Armos(->Secret)" Flag
When this flag is triggered, the flagged combo (and only that combo) is replaced with that layer's "Stair" Secret Combo, but other Screen Secrets are not triggered.
Push Blocks and Stairs
As mentioned above, there are two ways to trigger screen secrets by pushing a Push Block. But, if the screen has the "Stair" square placed, then the "Stair" Secret Combo will be placed at that location instead of general Screen Secrets being triggered. But, even if this happens, the "Secrets" Screen State will still be set, if other conditions do not prevent it from being triggered.